Pan Yuliang (Chinese, 1895-1977) left for France in 1921 and studied at the Lyon Sino-French Institute (“Institut Franco-Chinois de Lyon”) and the National School of Fine Arts of Lyon (“École Nationale des Beaux-Arts de Lyon”) successively. In 1925, she graduated from the National School of Fine Arts in Paris (“École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts de Paris”) and won the prestigious Rome scholarship to study at the University of Fine Arts in Rome (“Accademia di Belle Arti di Roma). In 1929, she returned to China and served as the president of the Western Painting Department at Shanghai Academy of Fine Arts (now Nanjing University of the Arts) and as a professor at the Art Department of the National Central University (now Nanjing University). She permanently moved to Paris in 1937, where she lived until her death in 1977.
Pan blended Chinese and Western painting techniques, using a Chinese brushwork to form the lines of her figures. Starting in the 1940s, she took up painting on rice paper using traditional Chinese brushes and colored inks.